Filet Minion in a Red Wine Reduction sauce with sautéed mushrooms with a gorgonzola cheese sauce over a bed of Asparagus with a Baked Potato on the side.
1 filet mignon steak (this is for 1 serving)
A bushel of asparagus
¾ of a Small Onion (minced)
¾” cup of gorganzola cheese
¼” cup of half and half
Portobello mushrooms (about 2 to 3)
Red Wine (either a merlot or a pinot noir is fine)
1 Yukon Potato
2 minced garlic cloves
1. Steam the asparagus in a narrow pot of boiling water for about 8 to 10 minutes until the asaparagus is cooked all the way through
2. For the potato, make sure to puncture little holes in the potato with a fork and place in microwave for 10 minutes (you can start cooking and microwaving the asparagus and the potato at the same time because they should be done around the same time anyways) – this is a good way to make sure everything is still hot for serving a meal
3. For steak: add some salt and pepper to the steak before placing in pan
4. Chop garlic and place in sauté pan with a little olive oil
5. After about two minutes on one side add a dash of red wine to the pan
6. Each side should cook for about 4 to 5 minutes depending on how you like your meat. This will give you a medium/medium rare steak.
7. After you flip the steak for the first time add another dash of red wine
8. After steak is cooked through, remove from the pan and place on a plate for the time being
9. Add chopped onions and portabella mushrooms to the pan. Add some more red wine and a pinch of salt, pepper and a little margarine.
10. Cook until the mushrooms are cooked through
11. For the sauce: Add cheese and half and half to a small pot on medium to low temperature. Add a pinch of margarine, salt and pepper and cook until completely melted
12. Plate all of your ingredients and you are done!
The gorgonzola cheese pairs VERY nicely with all of the components of this dish. I have made this for a few of my friends and it is always a favorite.