Mac and Cheese consists of a homemade Lemon Zest Parmesan Cream Sauce with Spinach Sausage and Broccoli Rabe.
-1 Box of Pasta- I chose a "summer theme" pasta that i got at whole foods- the more fun the shape, the better the pasta will taste. Its a fact.
-1 lemon (squeezed) and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest (see pics for how to "zest" a lemon)
-1 1/2" cups of parmesan cheese
-2 cups of heavy cream
-2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley
-1 to 2 chicken sausages
-1/4 of a bushel of broccoli rabe
1. Put two pots of water and boil - one for the broccoli rabe (see mondays recipe for how to properly steam broccoli rabe) and one for the pasta.
2. When pasta is cooked, drain all the pasta out but save some of the pasta water into a small coffee mug. You will use this water in the sauce because it helps add a little starch to the consistency of the sauce.
3. Add the liquids (cream, butter, lemon juice and zest, and a dash of olive oil) to the pot and mix on low heat until the butter is melted.
4. Add pasta and mix the liquids all together. Then add parmesan cheese and as you are stirring add about about 3 splashes of the "pasta water." to the sauce.
5. Chop the cooked broccoli rabe and add to the pasta.
6. Add some salt and pepper for flavoring
7. For the sausage- the chicken sausage should already be precooked- so you can just heat up on the stove top until the sides are slightly browned.
8. When browned, slice into pieces and add to pasta.